As laser tattoo removal specialists, we are committed to providing the best advice to keep your skin safe during your treatments. As we enter the summer months and have longer daylight hours and more sunlight, people are more eager to spend their time outdoors or travel on holidays. However, if you are undergoing laser tattoo removal treatments, it’s essential to follow proper aftercare advice to ensure successful results and minimise any potential complications.
1. Follow your technician’s instructions:
Your laser tattoo removal technician is the expert, so they will provide you with advice and instructions that you should follow to avoid any complications. These instructions include:
– Keep the treated area clean and dry.
– Apply a recommended ointment or cream to promote healing.
– Avoid direct exposure to sunlight and protect the area with loose clothing and sunscreen.
2. Protect Your Skin from the Sun:
After your laser tattoo removal session, your skin will be sensitive and prone to sun damage. Although living in the UK does not necessarily scream soaring sunlight and unbearable heat, UV rays and sunlight are still present. If you were to expose the treated area to the sun too soon after treatment, you increase the risk of hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation. This can also hinder the healing process. Also, keep in mind if you have a sunburn or peeling skin because of sun exposure, further laser tattoo removal treatments may be delayed as we cannot perform any procedures on damaged skin. Here are some tips to protect your skin:
– Stay in the shade: If you’re going on holiday, try your best to avoid extreme sun exposure. This means avoid sunbathing or long hours of sun exposure on your treated area, especially during the peak hours of the day when the sun’s rays are the strongest.
– Wear protective clothing: Cover the treated area with loose-fitting clothing made from lightweight, breathable fabrics. This will help avoid irritation.
– Apply sunscreen: Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher on the treated area. Re-apply every two hours, or more frequently if you’re sweating or swimming.
3. Avoid Activities That May Irritate the Skin:
Engaging in certain activities during the summer months can potentially irritate the treated area. Try to avoid the following:
– Swimming in pools, hot tubs, the sea or any form of water: These increase the risk of bacteria or chemicals entering treated skin, potentially causing infections or other complications.
– Excessive sweating: Intense workouts and activities that cause excessive sweating can irritate the treated area. Consider light exercises or non-strenuous activities that minimise sweating.
– Tanning: This includes sunbeds and sunbathing. We also recommend avoiding any fake tanning products (creams, sprays, etc.) during treatment as they may include ingredients that react with lasers and may lead to irregular pigmentation.
4. Stay Hydrated and Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle:
Proper hydration is crucial for your overall health, as well as the healing process of your skin. During the summer months, make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Additionally, maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables, which can promote skin health and accelerate the healing process.
5. Attend Follow-Up Sessions as Recommended:
Laser tattoo removal often requires multiple sessions to achieve the desired results. It’s essential to attend all follow-up appointments as recommended by your tattoo removal specialist. These sessions allow them to assess your progress, make any necessary adjustments, and determine the optimal timing for subsequent treatments.
With this information in mind, we generally recommend waiting four weeks after your treatment before going back in the sun. If that’s not possible, try to limit long periods of sun exposure at a time. By following proper aftercare instructions and protecting your skin from the sun, you’ll be on the right track to achieving your desired results. So, embrace the summer with confidence, knowing that you’re taking the necessary steps to care for your laser tattoo removal effectively.
Book your free consultation today!
The laser tattoo removal process is an easy way to remove tattoos you don’t want anymore. If you’re considering laser tattoo removal but need more information, book your free consultation with us. We have clinics based in Bolton, Manchester, Stockport and Warrington.